The Women Enhancing Technology (WeTech) Qualcomm Global Scholar program is a partnership between the Institute of International Education (IIE) and Qualcomm that invests in young women and future leaders in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in China, India and Taiwan. WeTech believes that providing young women university scholarships for degrees in the technology has tremendous impact on their retention and success rate in their chosen field, at a time when the global tech industry desperately needs more women educated, trained and entering into STEM careers. Combining this financial support with a 6-month structured mentorship program will also enable these women to connect with professionals working in the field who can provide them with valuable advice, guidance, and support to ensure their success as they enter into technical careers after graduation.
Sixteen scholarships will be issued to university students from eligible universities in Taiwan in the amount of $2,500 for the 2016 – 2017 school year. The scholarship recipients will also be expected to complete a 6-month virtual mentorship from January through June 2017. Scholars will be connected individually with an experienced mentor from Qualcomm.
The scholarship eligibility requirements are as follows:
1. Applicant must be female
2. Applicant must be a citizen of Taiwan
3. Applicant must be a current undergraduate student in either her second or third year of studies at one of the participating universities:
• National Cheng Kung University
• National Chiao Tung University
• National Taiwan University
• National Tsing Hua University
• Applicant must be seeking a degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science & Information Engineering
September 15, 2016: Scholarship application opens online: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2842547/2016WeTechApplicationTaiwan
October 30, 2016: Scholarship application closes
November 2016: Independent selection committees review applications and scholarship winners announced